Friday 18 February 2011

Writer or creative?


Back in 2000 when I was working in London I met with a headhunter about a couple of job opportunities.

The women in question dealt mainly with digital roles.

Anyway the meeting was going well until the women posed the following rather odd question:

"How can you be a creative director if you're a copywriter?'

I'm sure you can imagine my response.

Fast forward to quite recently when I was approached by a large digital agency who were looking for a creative director.

I had three meetings with key people, all of them over beers, before someone asked me the same question:

"How can you be a creative director if you're a copywriter?'

I decided there and then the role was not for me.

Why?

Because ours is an ideas business.

Not a design business.

What I wanna know is when all those people still clinging to the terms like 'pure play digital' are going to come to terms with this.