Tuesday 9 April 2013

Interesting Instagram stats

When I was a kid you got 24 or 36 photos on a roll of film.

There were cheap and expensive cameras but either way you had to finish a roll of film then wait a week (on average) to get it developed before you saw a photo.

Try explaining that to kids today and they look at you like you're 100 years old.

I have no idea how many photos were taken on any given day back then but I very much doubt it would be anywhere near as many as it is now.

In fact the usage stats for Instagram are utterly mind boggling - 40 million photos published every day.

Not every month. Every day.

On top of that Instagram receives 8,500 likes per second and 1,000 comments per second.

Compare that to waiting a week or more to see the photo you've taken and it's easy to see why my kids look at me like an idiot when I talk about how long photography used to take.